It is our duty to announce the death of the Hon. William Salmon, Esq., Judge of the County Court of this County, which event took place on Saturday the 8th Feb. Although for the past four years he had been seriously indisposed and unable to discharge the duties of his office,his decease was not apprehended until a few days prior to his death. The deceased was born at Alveston, near Bristol, on the 2nd June 1802, and was consequently in the 66th year of his age at the time of his lamented decease. He was the second and youngest son of the late Colonel George Salmon, and came to this country with his parents in the year 1809-the father and family of the present Dr. Rolph emigrating with them. They resided two years at Queenston; but, shortly before the war of 1812, removed to the Township of Woodhouse. Mr. Salmon was educated by the Rev. R. Leeming at Dundas, and entered the study of the Law in the office of Dr. Rolph, near Vittoria. He practised his profession in London for a short time, but a few years previous to the Division of the London District, came to Simcoe, where he continued his practice until his elevation to the Bench, by Lord Metcalf, in 1845. The late Judge was married twice; his first wife was a sister of Dr. Rolph, and his widow is a daughter of the late James Fraser, Esq., of Nova Scotia. His career, as a Judge, was marked by a strict and undeviating integrity. His judgements were universally received as sound and equitable; and we believe that no suitors could be found disposed to question his wisdom, or complain of his partiality. He held for many years the commission of the Major in the Militia, and took an active part with his company in suppressing the disturbances of 1837; and shortly afterwards represented the County for one session in the House of Assembly. He lived in the fear of God, and his life presented an edifying example. While health and strength were afforded him he was never absent from his place in Church, and took an active part in all efforts that were made for the advancement of religion. His end was perfect peace. His faculties continued unimpaired to the last. While therefore the County of Norfolk will deplore the loss of an able and upright Judge, and the community at large a most amiable and estimable member of society, we are encouraged to indulge the sure and certain hope of his everlasting happiness in that kingdom where sorrowing and sighing shall be no more.
The funeral took place on Wednesday 13th, the remains being interred in St. John's Church-yard, Woodhouse. Two Rifle Companies of the Battalion were present, and a very large number of the inhabitants testified, by their attendance, their appreciation of departed worth. -Communicated
Transcribed from The Journal of Education for Ontario, Vol. XXI. March, 1868. No. 3.